To make it perfectly clear why, here’s an example:

To: Roland
From: James
CC: Management Team, HR Department, Senior VP Team, Board
Subject: Company beach party this Friday

You are invited. Dress code casual.

To: James
From: Roland
CC: Management Team, HR Department, Senior VP Team, Board

Bring it on, Jimbo! Let's sink a few tinnies, then dump
the other losers and head to the Beach Bar.

Also, while we’re about it, remember that when you are emailing many different recipients, especially people outside your organisation who don’t already know one another, you should be using BCC:, not CC:, and here’s why.

Take care, and if in doubt, don’t sent it out!

💡 LEARN MORE – When to use BCC in your emails instead of CC, and why ►

Images of Christmas tree and Advent calendar courtesy of Shutterstock.

2 Comments

ABSOLUTELY!
I recently severed contact with an old friend (87) who, after being reminded numerous times, couldn’t remember to use BCC instead of CC when letting a large group of friends know he was still alive every morning. The “straw” was one in which he “linked” two of my email addresses in one mailing. So far, only an increased volume of SPAM & PHISHING.has resulted. Passwords changed, move on.

Hi Paul. First things first: Compliments of the festive season!
I have a corker of an example of CC-abuse from a few months back: Some admin-type at a certain London university sent out an email CCed to more than 600 students – the entire department so far as I can tell. But it gets better. When I vented my wrath on the sender, I received a further email by return – also CCed to the original recipients – stating that its purpose was to withdraw the original email.
*facepalm*
Perhaps there’s another cautionary message here, too? Something like: don’t think it’s safe to give out ‘mundane’ email tasks to new temps/interns?

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to get the latest updates in your inbox.
Which categories are you interested in?
You’re now subscribed!